Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Cozy Hot Drink

I love eggnog but, unfortunately that creamy, delicious decadence does not love me back. Sigh. Every year around the holidays I approach the dairy case and stare at the perfectly neat rows of festive garland or snowflake adorned eggnog cartons. I used to break down and bring home just one small carton labeled from the local Pittsford dairy and savor it for as many days as I could. I'd heat it up and just melt inside. BUT... I always paid the price - pain & suffering & lots of bathroom reading time, not to mention the mucho calories & fat.

Finally, I came up with an equally loveable, creamy, muggable drink to warm your insides on a cold night. It's got no egg, nor nog for that matter, but it's delicious and I no longer miss that thick, heavy, fattening holiday drink!

Hot Blue Diamond
Heat up a cup of vanilla unsweetened organic almond milk. (I love Blue Diamond Almond Breeze)
Add a packet of no-calorie Truvia.
Sprinkle with cinnamon & nutmeg. Stir.
Sip slowly with feet up on the comfy couch ... and melt.

The bottom line: This is only 40 calories for an 8oz cup! Eggnog is made from milk, cream, sugar & eggs. A 1 cup serving of Organic Valley eggnog is 360 calories & loaded with fat & sugar. A little FYI - just because something is made with organic ingredients does not mean it is low fat or low calorie!

No comments:

Post a Comment