Sunday, November 7, 2010

I Want My Chocolate Chip Cookies!

Who doesn't love chocolate chip cookies? But for the most delicate of stomachs, traditional buttery Toll House cookies are as good as poison. Seriously, they might as well be labeled with an evil skull & cross-bones. I need my cookie fix though!! I'm a true cake/cookie-aholic and I knew I had to come up with something that gave me less guilt and was safe and easy on me 3 hours after eating. So I did some experimenting and came up with a recipe that works. I use subs for sugar, butter & white flour and the chocolate is dairy-free. It took a little getting used to the whole wheat flour taste, but the cookies taste great - even my kids and their friends like them.

Carole's Chocolate Chip Cookies
non-dairy, no white flour or sugar and the kids really like them!
Recipe makes 6 dozen small cookies

What You Need
2 1/4 cups all purpose whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup softened Earth Balance natural buttery spread
3/4 cup granulated no-calorie Truvia* (15 packets)
1/2 cup Ideal Brown* no calorie sweetener
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs or egg whites
1/2 cup water
1 12 oz package semi-sweet non-dairy chocolate chips (I like Enjoy Life brand)

The Process
Preheat oven to 375.
Combine flour, baking soda, salt, Truvia & Ideal Brown in a bowl.
In a mixing bowl, beat Earth Balance & vanilla until creamy.
Add eggs & beat.
Add water & beat.
Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, mixing between additions.
Stir in chocolate chips.
Place on shiny ungreased baking sheet in small rounded amounts.
Bake for 6-7 minutes. They'll be soft but that's ok.
Remove cookies from baking sheet & let cool.

The bottom line: You get to eat chocolate chip cookies with a lot less guilt and your insides will not rebel against you.

*Note: Truvia and Ideal Brown are artificial sweeteners used to keep the calories & rise in blood sugar down. Ideal Brown contains xylitol which can be an IBS trigger. If you're sensitive to it you can leave it out and use more of the Truvia instead. Truvia is made with stevia & erythritol which is less of an intestinal irritant.

p.s. Ghiradelli makes milk-free chocolate chips too and many brands of dark chocolate chips contain no dairy.

No comments:

Post a Comment