Monday, November 15, 2010

Anytime Breakfast

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, and I say, "break the rules!" Breakfast food is just as good at lunch, dinner or snack time - any time of day or night. I love going out for breakfast especially on Saturday & Sunday mornings. The atmosphere at the local diner (ok, I'll plug the Charbroil) on the weekend is friendly, casual & un-hurried. Everyone knows everyone in this small-ish town of Brighton and you're always guaranteed to see people you know - there's a lot of waving & chatting & air-kissing going on. (I'm still not used to it 16 years post my transplant from Long Island). But I know that like any meal, preparing food at home is usually healthier and safer on the insides. It's so hard to resist the home-fries & french toast & pancakes & syrups and all things buttery. But, when I think about how quickly it takes to eat yet how long the seismic aftershock to my body lasts, it makes it easier to decide to eat the right way that works for me.
Here's one of my favorite home breakfasts:

Eggwhite 'n Un-Chedda
Open-Faced Breakfast Sandwich

100% Liquid Pure Eggwhites
Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds (non-dairy/vegan)
Arnold Sandwich Thins
Canola cooking spray
Optional:
spinach
fakin' bacon (Lightlife Smart Bacon - veggie protein strips)

Pour 1/2 cup eggwhites (60 cal) into a pan sprayed with canola oil spray.
Sprinkle 1/8 cup Daiya Cheddar Shreds (45 cal) over the eggwhites.
(You can optionally add some fresh spinach)
Cook & fold into an omelette.
Cut omelette in half and place each half on a toasted half multi-grain Arnold Sandwich Thin (50 cal each half).

If you want to McMuffinize it, cook up some fakin' bacon; meat-free Lightlife Smart Bacon in the pan first; before you make the omelette & add that on top of the omelette and have it as a closed sandwich.

Note: Daiya dairy-free cheddar & mozzarella style shreds are the best tasting, most addicting non-cheeses I've ever tasted. Really. It's the crack of vegan cheeses. It melts & stretches like cheese and it really tastes good. It's organic and it has no soy, casein, lactose or gluten. It's great to use as a sub for cheese if you're lactose intolerant, BUT be aware that it does contain fat (not much different from regular cheese) but in this case the fat comes from safflower & coconut oils instead of milk. All fats are IBS triggers so try this product in small quantities to see if you can handle it.

Note: I use Wegmans brand 100% pure liquid eggwhites and canola oil cooking spray. 



No comments:

Post a Comment