Saturday, December 4, 2010

Lasagna to Daiya For

(I think it may actually be pronounced DAY-a, not DIE-a but then my cute pun doesn't work). I have to say, this was surprisingly tasty & satisfying, all things considered. I made this lasagna with 1 box of Tinkyada brown rice lasagna noodles, browned up & seasoned ground chicken, Daiya dairy-free mozzarella style shreds & store bought marinara sauce. I always use the lowest sodium tomato sauce I can find, which happens to be my local supermarket brand, Wegmans Red, Ripe & Ready, and I doctor it up with herbs. (Next time I'll make it vegetarian with spinach & mushrooms, sans chicken, but I knew my kids wouldn't touch it made that way). It's the first time I made brown rice lasagna noodles and they cooked up beautifully. I couldn't tell the difference at all in the lasagna. The Daiya mozzarella is melty & stretchy and I'm becoming addicted to this stuff. As I've said before, it's truly the crack of vegan cheese. It's nothing like any of the other 'cheese wannabees'. Now, of course it's not actual mozzarella, and I'm not trying to put one over on anybody, but it does the trick without forcing me to eat soy cheese (yuck). It does contain safflower & coconut oils and I'm very IBS sensitive to all fats, but it doesn't bother me as much as cheese with lactose. It will get to me, though, if I have more than one piece. But, hey, one piece of lasagna is more than I've been able to eat in eons.

Note: I have read dozens and dozens of reviews about Daiya dairy-free cheese-like shreds from lactose intolerants as well as iron-stomached people and 99.9% of them are wildly, cheesegasmically positive. Restaurants in LA & NYC are now serving pizza & other vegan 'cheesy' dishes with Daiya so it's only a matter of time before that happens here in upstate NY. (A couple of vegan food brands are also using it - Amy's mac 'n cheese & Tofurkey pizza). I am also crazy about the stuff, but I'm in the apparently infinitely small percentile who in addition to the lactose intol. has IBS sensitivities too. I keep telling myself that it's a good thing because it keeps me from eating too much... of anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment